Mudra word is derived from Sanskrit language and it means attitude or gesture. Mudra is psychic, emotional or devotional/aesthetic gesture or attitude. Mudras are certain act of bodily manifestations which change the mood and attitude of an aspirant. A mudra may be performed by the entire body in combination with Asanas, Pranayams and other practices. Mudras are taught only when you have gained proficiency in Asanas and Pranayams. Mudras should never be tried by reading books it must be guided by a Guru or yogi, practically.
Mudras are higher practices which lead to awakening of the Pranas, Chakras and Kundalini the cosmic power in the human body. This shall certainly bestow upon the advanced practitioner the major virtues called “Siddhis”.
In scientific terms mudras provide a means to access and influence the unconscious reflexes and primal instinctive habit patterns that originate in the primitive areas of the brain around the brain stem.
Here are method and benefits of some important mudras, commonly practiced.
Chin (Gyan) Mudra
Sit in any comfortable posture like Siddha, Swastic, Padma, Sukha or Vajra Asana. Spine erect, eyes closed, Body relaxed. Fold your index finger (Air Element) and join its tip with the tip of the thumb (Fire element) and keep other three fingers (Middle – ether element), (Ring – Earth element), (Little – water element) together and straight. This is to be done on both the hands and is called Chin Mudra. Do Maintain this for 15 to 20 Minutes without any interruption and some prescribed pranayama can be done during this time..
- Mind is calmed down and the intellect is sharpened.
- Mental concentration and memory power are enhanced.
- Nervous system is strengthened.
- Any problems related to brain are cured by the application of this mudra with other yoga regime suitably advised to an individual.
- Anger, excitation, fear, laziness are removed.
- This is very good for therapy of insomnia. Even excess sleep and lethargy are cured.
- Glandular secretions are brought to normal level. Headache and migraine is cured.
Sit in a comfortable posture with closed eyes and spine erect. Relax your body & mind. On both the hands, keep the tips of Thumb, Middle and Ring fingers together whereas index finger and little finger shall be straight. This is Apaan Mudra, maintain it for about 20 Minutes with some suitable pranayam prescribed for you.
- Toxins of entire body are eliminated.
- Regulates and normalizes the sweat, urine and stool discharges from the body.
- Entire stomach disorders are cured. Ensures proper digestion of foods and nutrients in the body
- Teeth and gums become healthy and strong.
- This is One of the Mudras to be used for the Therapy of diabetes. Very good for Pancreas to produce insulin and thereby regulating the blood sugar.
- Any problems of Eyes, Nose and Throat are solved.
- Relieves from the acute pains during menstrual periods of women.
- Burning sensation while urinating is cured.
- Low B.P. is normalized.
- Displacement of uterus or Navel is corrected.
- Vitality of your body is increased. Vital organs such as kidneys, heart, liver and lungs as strengthened.
Apaan Vayu (Hridya) Mudra
This is a variation of Apaan Mudra and is done by joining the tips of Thumb. Middle finger and Ring finger (as in Apaan Mudra) then fold your index finger and keep its tip at the root of the Thumb. This is to be done on both hands. Again your prescribed pranayama is to be practised for 20 minutes and more.
- Very useful when one suffers from Heart attack or in case angina pain, this mudra is a substitute of “Sorbitrate” medicine in case of emergency. It eases out chest congestion.
- Very useful in case of missing heart beats or slow heart-beats. It also normalizes the palpitations.
- After a tiring work, worries, waking strains it can give quick relief.
- Temperature of the body is regulated.
- Extra sweat of hands and feet is controlled.
Sit in a comfortable posture with closed eyes, spine erect, body and mind relaxed. Keep your both hands on respective knees and compress the tip of little finger between the tips of thumb and ring finger other two free finger (index & Middle shall be kept straight and together. This mudra shall be practiced for about 20 Minutes with some suitable pranayama as prescribed.
- Your sensory organs are disciplined and brought to your control.
- Problems of circulatory system are taken care of.
- Extra ordinarily rejuvenates your entire body.
- Any blockages in arteries are removed.
- This is very good for weak persons.
- Removes infections by increasing and enhancing your the resistance system of your body.
- Useful for any eye disorder.
- Should be regularly practiced by diabetics.
- This has a great therapeutic value for Insomnia patients.
- Immensely helpful if done during paralysis.
- Controls thirst and hunger.
Surya (Agni) Mudra
Sit in a comfortable posture and eyes closed, spine erect, body and mind relaxed. Fold the ring finger so that its tip presses the root of the thumb and the thumb just laps over the ring finger. Other three fingers are kept straight. Do the pranayam suggested to you with this mudra for minimum 20 minutes. As usual this mudra is to be done with both the hands.
- Cures disorders of the thyroid glands.
- Obesity is treated with this Mudra.
- Stresses in Body and Mind are removed.
- This has yielded very good results in cases of Asthma, T.B., Pneumonia, Sinusitis, etc. Certain combinations of Mudras are prescribed in these diseases.
- Regular practice of this relieves one from chronic constipation.
Sit in a comfortable posture and eyes closed, spine erect, body and mind relaxed. On both the hands the tip of little fingers are to be joined with the tips of respective thumb. Deep breathing (Inhalation – Retention – Exhalation – Waiting) can be continuously done. Maintain this for 20 minutes or more.
- Dryness of skin is removed which gives lustrous, shining and soft skin.
- This contributes to achieve cosmic beauty as opposed to the cosmetic beauty.
- Relieves from excessive sweating and bad body odors. In yogic practices this is used to create fragrance in the body.
- Useful Mudra in case of blood deficiencies.
- Cures psoriasis, itching and rashes etc.
- Nervous stresses are cured.
- Maintains youthfulness for longer duration or even up to the old age.
Select your sitting posture and keep the eyes closed, spine erect and body & mind relaxed. On both the hands join the tips of your index fingers with the root of thumbs of respective hands. Overlap thumb over your index finger lightly. Keep all other fingers straight. Start practicing your prescribed pranayam and do that for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Since this mudra regulates the ‘Air’ element inside your body it helps you get rid of flatulence and joint problems.
- People with Parkinson’s disease are also advised to do this mudra to control their tremors.
Aakash (Shoonya) Mudra
Select your sitting posture and keep the eyes closed, spine erect and body & mind relaxed. On both the hands join the tips of middle fingers with the tips of thumbs of respective hands. This is aakash or shoonya mudra. Start practicing your prescribed pranayam and do that for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If meditation is done with this Mudra it takes one to the divine level and certain vibrations are felt.
- You realize your own inner powers and thus it boosts your self confidence.
- Stabilizes calcium in the body and bones become strong. Even helps to cure the bone fractures quickly.
- Many disorders of heart such as high BP, angina pain, irregular palpitations are cured.
- Ear disorders such as high hearing or ear pains can be cured.
- This mudra removes all kinds on congestion and blockages in the body and thus treats many ailments of respiratory and circulatory system.